In this article, we’ll discuss key signs that indicate it’s time for a commercial roof replacement as well as essential considerations such as budget, materials used, installation process, and warranties available. So without further ado, let’s get into the important details about roof replacements for commercial properties!
Is your commercial roof starting to show its age? There are times when investing in a new roof makes more sense than continuing with repairs on an aging one. However, replacing a commercial roof isn’t something that should be taken lightly: there are many factors to consider when deciding whether or not you need to replace the roof of your business.
When to Consider a Commercial Roof Replacement
It’s important to consider a commercial roof replacement when the time is right. You must be aware of the signs that indicate it may be time to replace your aging commercial roof to avoid potential problems that may cost you. Here are some of the most common signs to look out for:
- Age: If your roof is approaching or has exceeded its expected lifespan (typically 20-25 years for asphalt shingle roofs), it may be time to consider a replacement.
- Damage: If your roof has sustained significant damage from weather events such as hail, wind, or heavy rain, it may need to be replaced.
- Leaks: Water stains on your walls or ceiling may indicate a leaky roof, which can occur due to damaged or missing shingles or problems with flashing around vents, chimneys, or skylights.
- Granule Loss: If you notice granule buildup in your gutters or downspouts, it may be a sign that your shingles are beginning to deteriorate.
- Higher Energy Bills: If your roof is poorly insulated or ventilated, it could be causing your energy bills to be higher than necessary. A new roof can improve your home’s energy efficiency.
If you’re experiencing any of these signs, we recommend you call a professional roofer to inspect your roof and determine if a replacement is necessary. By taking these measures, you can ensure the safety of your property and avoid incurring any unnecessary expenses.
Benefits of a New Roof
Investing in a new roof for your business can offer several advantages, many of which can help you save money and time in the long term while ensuring the smooth operation of your business. Here are some of the significant benefits of replacing your commercial roof:
- Improved Energy EfficiencyInstalling a new roof with adequate insulation and ventilation help regulate the temperature in your business, resulting in reduced energy costs and increased comfort. Effective insulation can prevent heat transfer by keeping warm air inside during winter and outside during summer.
Proper ventilation helps to reduce heat buildup in the attic, which can cause your air conditioning system to work harder, leading to higher energy bills. With a new roof that is well-insulated and properly ventilated, you can enjoy a more comfortable home and lower energy costs.
- Increased Home ValueBy getting a new roof for your home, you can significantly improve its curb appeal and overall value. This can make your property more attractive to potential buyers if you decide to sell it in the future. A new roof is a significant upgrade that can enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home and make it stand out from other properties in your neighborhood.
Additionally, having a new roof can be a selling point that increases the value of your home since homebuyers often consider the condition of the roof when making a purchasing decision.
- Enhanced ProtectionA new roof better protects your home from leaks, water damage, and other issues that can cause costly repairs and damage to your belongings. Over time, wear and tear, exposure to the elements, and other factors can cause your roof to deteriorate and become less effective at keeping out moisture.
A new roof with high-quality materials and proper installation can provide better protection against leaks and water damage, reducing the risk of costly repairs and the potential for damage to your home and belongings.
- Peace of MindInstalling a new roof can give you a sense of peace and security, knowing that your building is well-protected against the elements and you won’t have to deal with leaks or other issues for a long time. A new roof can give you the confidence to feel that your commercial property is safe and secure, and you won’t have to deal with unexpected repairs or damages caused by an old roof. As a result, you, your employees, and your clients can visit your property without any stress or anxiety caused by potential roofing problems.
- Better WarrantyA new roof typically comes with a manufacturer’s warranty, which provides additional protection in case of any defects or issues with the materials. A manufacturer’s warranty can provide coverage for a certain period, typically ranging from 10 to 50 years, depending on the type of materials used.
This can give you peace of mind, as you have additional protection in case of any issues with your roof. Some warranties may also cover the cost of labor for any repairs or replacements, further reducing the potential cost of any future repairs.
Best Types of Roofs for Commercial Properties
There are several types of roofs that are suitable for commercial properties, but the right roof will highly depend on your needs and budget. Here are some of the best types of roofs for commercial properties:
- Flat RoofsFlat roofs are usually the top choice for commercial properties because they’re relatively low-cost and very easy to install. This type of roofing can be used for outdoor spaces, like gardens and rooftop patios, but it requires regular maintenance to prevent water pooling and further damage.
- Metal RoofsMetal roofs are durable, long-lasting, and fire-resistant, making them a good choice for commercial properties. They are also energy-efficient and can help reduce energy costs. However, metal roofs can be noisy during rain or hailstorms and may require periodic maintenance to prevent rust or corrosion.
- Built-up RoofsBuilt-up roofs (BUR) are a popular option for commercial properties with low-slope roofs. BUR roofs consist of layers of tar, felt, and gravel, making them extremely durable and resistant to fires. They can last up to 30 years with the right maintenance. But, it’s important to note that BUR roofs can be quite heavy, so they may require additional structural support.
- TPO RoofsThermoplastic olefin (TPO) roofs are one of the most eco-friendly commercial roof options. They’re incredibly durable, easy to install, and lightweight, which makes them an attractive option for building owners. But when it comes to durability, TPO roofs may not be ideal, especially for extreme weather conditions, and can require repair or replacement if damaged.
- EPDM RoofsEthelyn propylene diene monomer (EPDM) roofs are made of a long-lasting and flexible type of rubber which makes it a cost-effective option for commercial properties. One of its best features is its UV ray resistance, but it can be easily punctured by sharp objects and damaged by extreme weather conditions.
It’s important to consult an experienced commercial roofer who understands all aspects of these various products before making any final decisions about which material is best suited for your specific application.
How to Hire a Professional Roof Replacement Contractor
When it comes to replacing your commercial roof, hiring a professional installer is essential. A qualified and experienced contractor will ensure the job is done right, saving you time and money in the long run. Before signing with any company for your installation services, you should:
- Verify their credentials – Make sure they have proper licensing and insurance coverage that covers both workers’ compensation and public liability before proceeding with the project.
- Check references – Get at least 3 past customer reviews from people who have used their roofing installation cost services recently. Ask questions like how was the quality of work? Were there any issues during or after installation?
- Request an estimate – Have them provide a detailed quote outlining all materials and labor costs associated with the roof replacement. Be sure it includes a timeline of when work will begin/end so you can plan accordingly.
You should also ask if they offer warranties on their products and services as well as guarantees on craftsmanship. Knowing these details ahead of time can help eliminate surprises down the line while providing peace of mind knowing you’re dealing with a professional roofing contractor that stands behind their work.
Replacing an old commercial roof can be a big decision, but with the right information and advice, it doesn’t have to be daunting. Knowing when to consider a replacement, what types of roofs are available, and how much they will cost all play important roles in making sure you get the best deal for your business. And if you choose to hire a professional installer, they’ll help ensure that your new roof is properly installed and maintained.
If you need help with commercial roof replacement in Sarasota, Strong Roofing is ready to help. Our team has the skills and knowledge to determine the best roofing solution for your commercial property. Contact us today!