What does it take to become a commercial roofing contractor in Sarasota? Before you get into the commercial roofing space, there are certain requirements you need to meet. For example, you must obtain a Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation license.
Other requirements include: you must be 18 years or older, with at least four years of work experience, a college degree in a related field, etc. Most important of all, before you can start working, you must first pass the exam.
Below are detailed requirements needed when applying as a commercial roofing services contractor in Sarasota, Florida.
The Florida Roofing Contractors Exam
Florida requires roofing contractors to complete the Business, Finance, and Trade Knowledge Exam successfully. There are two parts to the exam, and you need to pass both. Moreover, you also need to meet the minimum experience required to start the roofing license and pay an examination fee for first-time licensees.
Trade Knowledge Exam
The Trade Knowledge Exam is a 5-hour exam that includes an 80-question open-book examination. It covers different topics like Shakes and Shingles, Built-Up Roofs, Architectural Metal Roofs, Modified Roofing Systems, Drains and Gutters, Clay and Concrete Tile Roofs, Metal Roofs, Equipment, and Safety.
Business and Finance Exam
The Business and Finance Exam is a six-and-a-half-minute exam including a 120-question open-book examination. It covers topics like Managing Administrative Duties, Establishing The Contracting Business, Conducting Accounting Functions, Managing Trade Operations, Human Resources Management, and compliance with Government Regulations.
Licensing Requirements For Commercial Roofing Contractor In Sarasota, Florida
Before becoming a licensed commercial roofing contractor in Sarasota, you must complete all the necessary licensing requirements.
- Must be 18 years of age and over
- Pass both state certification exams (Roofing Trade Knowledge and Business and Finance Examinations)
Other requirements before taking the examinations:
- For years of construction degree or related courses from an accredited college with one year of experience in the same category
- At least one year of experience as a foreman, including three years of credits from an authorized college course
- One year of work experience, one-year foreman experience, and one year of credit from a certified college course
- For years of work or foreman experience
- Military veterans (May qualify for a certified license when meeting one of these requirements:
- Three years of military service with one year of experience as a foreman and one year of experience as a worker in a related category
- Two years of military service, one year as a foreman, and one year as a worker in a related category
- One year of military service, one year as a foreman, and two years as a worker in a related category
- All applicants must have proven experience in the installation of the following:
- Shingles and Shakes
- Tile and Concrete Roofing
- Architectural metal roofing
- Built-up roofing systems
- Single-ply systems
- Gutters and downspouts
Applicants must guarantee that they have achieved property damage and public liability insurance with the right amount set by the board. Likewise, they are also required to secure worker’s compensation insurance or an exemption from the said insurance within 30 days of the issuance of the license.
- Background checks, including fingerprint
- Proof of financial stability
Applicants are required to provide a credit report of proof of financial stability. The credit report should include a FICO-issued credit score demonstrating local, state, and federal records.
Florida requires all commercial roofing contractors, including Sarasota County, to have a license before conducting any work in the state. As you can see, multiple requirements are needed before starting a professional roof installation business. Make sure you pass the exams and collect all the necessary documents and requirements.